Earlier I posted the Bombshell Mittens on this site. I think that it’s perfect to have matching beanie and mittens. So I’m going to post the matching beanie to go along with the mittens.
So here’s what you need to get started:
Sport or DK weight yarn – Approx 155 yds
Stitches used and abbreviations:
Ch – chain stitch
St – stitch
Sc – single crochet
Scblo – single crochet in back loop only
Sl st – slip stitch
Dc – double crochet
FO – Fasten off
Chains at beginning of rows DO count as a stitch.
2dc = 2 double crochets in the same stitch
Dc 2 = double crochet in the next 2 stitches
V Stitch – Dc, ch2, dc
Shell – dc 3, ch1, dc 3
This pattern is a beginner pattern.
GAUGE: 4mm Hook, 6 sc x 5 rows = 1” for brim
3 shells = 3 ½” wide and 3” tall
I used Brava Sport yarn by WeCrochet for this project. I love the sheen that has and it very easy to work with.
- Ch 9, sc in 2nd ch and down, ch1, turn. (8)
- *Sc in 1st st, scblo 6, sc in last st, ch1, turn.*
- Repeat Row 2 for the correct number of inches for the size wanted from chart below.
Newborn to 3 mos – should measure approx 11” long
3-6 mos – should measure approx 12” long
6-12 mos – should measure approx 14” long
12-24 mos – should measure approx 15” long
Toddler – should measure approx 16” long
Child – should measure approx 17” long
Adult – should measure approx 20” long
Most yarn has a give and will stretch so the brim should be approximately 2” shorter than the circumference of the head.
- Sl st both ends together to form a ring, ch 1, flip so you’re working on the right side and sc in ea row around the brim making sure that your stitch count is divisible by 6, join.
- Ch 5 (counts as a dc, ch 1), dc in same join st, ch 2, *sk 5 sts, (dc, ch2, dc) in next st, ch2*, repeat around, join to 3rd loop of beginning ch 5.
- Sl st in V st, (ch3 [counts as a dc], dc 2, ch1, dc 3) in ch2 sp, *(dc 3, ch1, dc3) in V st*, repeat around, join to 3rd ch of beginning ch 3.
- Sl st in next 2 sts, sl st in ch1 sp, ch 5 (counts as a dc, ch1), dc in same sp, *ch2, sk 5 sts, (dc, ch2, dc) in next ch1 sp*, repeat around, join to 3rd ch of the beginning ch 5.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until your hat measures from the bottom of the brim up as follows:
Newborn to 3 mos – should measure approx 5” long
3-6 mos – should measure approx 6” long
6-12 mos – should measure approx 6.5” long
12-24 mos – should measure approx 7” long
Toddler – should measure approx 7.25” long
Child – should measure approx 7.5” long
Adult – should measure approx 8.5” long
- Last row should be a shell row..
Fasten off leaving long tail for sewing up top. Weave tail through the ch 1 of each shell and pull tight to cinch in the top of the hat and secure. Weave in all ends.
I hope you enjoyed making this hat. There are matching mittens for this pattern. Please check out my other designs at https://www.ravelry.com/designers/patti-french. Please see my webpage at www.facebook.com/craftsunlimited2017